Sunday, November 27, 2005

If you haven't already done so, grip the steering wheel as tightly as you possibly can...


When I received the phone call that morning, I was more or less at odds with how quiet my parents house had become. No goodbye's, no note of safe travels, nothing. Too late to drive 30 min. To make it to church, and not really sure if wanting to stay until they returned, or at least the half of them that weren't performing in Marshal.

The phone call came with a surprise that my gut knew already that morning upon drowsily tousling about to force the morning gloom back into night. "The roads are bad, better start off home soon." Dad said. "Thanks, I love you." I said. "I love you too, be careful." Dad said.

Then the whirlwind of getting things in order to leave my vacation cabin in the woods, aka: the parents house. No shower, for cleanliness ahead of safety looks vain. But a quick face wash and make up on I was ready for anything with my tousled head of hair. Brilliant. Packed the car and headed out for what the slick and rained on roads would have in store for Caleb and I.

They weren't too bad, if you went 45 MPH and kind of coasted to your stopping point. The worst was near Perham, MN. Where it started to rain fat droplets upon the already sleet filled roads. One finds that driving on ice is bad, but ice that has been freshly covered in rain is much more slick, much less manageable, and much more scary. I began to cry, wondering why I ever left my parents house. But I continued on, hoping for the best and less ice the further south I drove.

Almost to Wadena now, the roads look better, but no one in this line of caravaning cars, forced to be together and be tolerable, of the icy circumstances seemed to dare to hope that the roads were indeed water now instead of ice. Slow going, but not so lonely since there were a few of us all going through the same thing. Slowly we got into town. The roads turned from ice into water. I stopped for comfort of refueling, bathroom break, and a few choice snacks for Caleb and I before returning to white knuckling it through to the cities.

Once back on the road it was getting easier to see that the roads were better now. Puddles of water reflected road signs, but everyone had their cautions. You could see and feel relief sink in as the cars were more daring. The whole atmosphere in my own vehicle became a welcome relief. There's nothing like driving on ice only to realize that you aren't anymore. Tension is gone, come on let's drive!

Then in the joy of the newly found driving conditions a phone call of "I miss you and can't wait to see you!" Tuesday seems ages away, even for a neighbor. I smiled as I reached my house. Dirty, dirty car, we shall wash you tomorrow! Sorry bag boy at Kowalski's for having had to close the back hatch in her filth. Hot bathes and a good book. Good night and safe travels for all!

No comments: