Tuesday, January 31, 2006

My son will have the fish...


Caleb and I dined on fish tonight. Coming from a family who was raised on a resort, fish and fish frys are a common place happening in the summer, and whenever there is enough fish to feed a good group of us. I love it. When I was 16 I out ate my uncle. So to this day I'm crowned queen of fish eating, also terribly teased that they 'don't have enough fish to feed everyone.... And me.' But it's okay, I wear the title triumphantly. Tonight, however, I believe I found my match. Caleb is quite taken with the stuff. And rightly so, it's in his genes. As he came back into the kitchen asking for his second piece of fish when I had barely begun my first, was something of great satisfaction that I had finally found something that he would eat. We had salads with our fish, which isn't common. There is usually boiled potatoes (we didn't have them) and this awesome bean salad that has kidney beans, peppers, sometimes celery, onions, and Mayo. It's fantastic with fish... But salad did great. Which is why when I started in on my second piece of fish I didn't know if I would be able to finish it or not. I had dug into the salad so fast that the fish merely seemed a side dish. (it could also show that I haven't been eating a lot of fruits and veggies lately, which is bad I know... But I don't have the money for it right now and Caleb needs better nutrition than me, so I sacrifice).

While eating, I started reading an column in the Rake about Minnesotan nudists and the like. In one part he referred to the Greeks and how they trained naked for the Olympics... And such I came to this key thing... The word "gymnasium" actually comes from the Greek word "gymnos", meaning 'Nude'. Isn't that interesting??? Maybe you all knew that already, I probably did too, but tonight, for some reason, it was quite amusing.

The article was fascinating and pretty well written. I, however, will keep my nudity to my own house to the eyes of no one but my own, and the occasional accidental happening when Caleb walks into the bathroom.

Looking back upon my fish and salad, I think I'll keep the rosemary out of my fish batter. It was a little much.

No comments: