Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Story of Melody Eve


I was born in Ironwood, MI (the U.P.) in a little hospital in the woods (although the woods isn't really there now... However there is still a lot of trees) Sept. 10th 1980. I was born purple because I decided that waiting until I was out of the womb to breathe, well, too long to wait. Fortunately they saved me and now you all have to suffer through the rest of this... ;) I lived in Ironwood for about 5 years of my life. Very fuzzy years. A lot came back to me when I visited Ironwood this summer like the house, where I used to hide candy, ballet lessons that I started at age 4 (which continued until age 18), where I got my measel shots, library books, etc... ( I still have not gotten the photos developed). From their we moved to my grandparents house in Detroit Lakes for a couple of months until dad and mom found a house to rent. We spent a few years there going to a small church where I met a few (Rachael and Sarah) people that I am grateful enough to call as friends throughout the years. Dad started school at UND and after a year of him living out of a bus and us (mom, me, Selah, Isaac and Elijah) living back in Detroit Lakes (D.L.) we moved to a country house in East Grand Forks. Mom homeschooled us, which to a lot of kids in public school was considered 'cool', mainly because they thought that I/we didn't have to get up early and do school work. Yes, we did. Mom was a stickler. I rollerskated a lot during those few years while dad earned his degree as a physical therapist. (I'm so proud of you dad!) (Dad said that he got the urge to go to school for physical therapy when I woke up one night screaming from growth pains in my ankles.) After college dad moved us down to New Ulm, MN. Still continuing to dance, mom had Selah and I enrolled in the Mankato ballet company. I became enthralled with the music from swan lake, the nutcracker, and a bunch of others. I also started public school in 8th grade. I had my first real boyfriend named Jeff, who was in fact a foot shorter than me... Okay... Maybe 6" or so, all ths same, this 5'8" girl already finding graces with guys that she didn't know she had before.
Half way through my 8th grade year we moved back to my grandparents house in D.L. I'm not sure why, I don't remember if we were ever told. I started school at the generational high school that my mom, uncle, and aunts all attended so I endured all kinds of teasing and 'special' treatment from the teachers that had my family before me. It was interesting. Meeting up with Sarah and Rachael made the transformation from one school to another very easy. Moving on to my senior year. The middle of my junior year I met my ex at work, his first day. He enlisted in the army and left shortly after my Junior prom. He asked me to marry him over the phone, being 17 and naive I consented. ( I look on this as one of many 'not so bright moments'). Senior year I filled my schedule to fill the void. Somehow I became the school mascot (I dressed as a giant hornet- there's another funny story concern ing this), Soccer (the first year that it was offered at the school), Swing choir, Band, Ballet (of course), youth leader, and worked part time. I think I had other responsibilities, but right now they are lacking in my memory. The method to my madness, busy falls to calm springs. December of 1998. One of the worst times in my life. Probably one of the most testing. I decide to fly down to Tennessee for Christmas to be with my now ex, I go to D. L. For plane tickets and head back to school for Saleh. It was a ballet night which ment climbing in the 'unstoppable' Subaru station wagon and heading to Fergus Falls ( about 45 min away) for 2-2 1/2 hours of strict classical ballet lessons. It was stormy out and we decided to go home instead. On the way home we hit some ice on a very curvy part of the road, my suby heads into the oncoming traffic on a country road. Then, we get hit, by our own school bus. The car was in 3 pieces. Selah and I were still alive and rushed to the emergency room in D.L. Selah was worse off than I so they drove her up to Fargo for better care. As for me, I was in the I.C.U. for 2 days and walked away with minor cuts and bruises. (Let this be known, the accident being as bad as it was, I shouldn't be here, let alone walking. Paramedics that see me walking around sometimes come to me with slight tears in their eyes at how I was spared.) Selah, my beloved sister lived for 10 days and then went on. It's hard not having her around, there's not a day that goes by that I wouldn't enjoy sharing life with her again. I miss her so much!

After high school I immediately moved to Tennessee to start college. Wanting desperately cling to something that was 'normal' after the accident I chose to marry my now ex about 2 weeks after moving down there in the court house. A month later he cheated on me. After I found out, I never felt that we were married. Just two mixed up kids in a mess. We tried to work things out, but there were matters (verbal abuse and borderline physical abuse from him) that wouldn't go away, counseling was refused on his part. We found out that we were pregnant after his 6 month deployment in Kosovo. 5 months into the pregnancy, after being pushed around against the walls and onto the bed, along with not being 'allowed' to go back to school. I called mom and dad telling them that I was stronger than this and I needed to come home to raise this baby. They came and got me.

I started college for sign school 3 months after Caleb was born. About 12 hours after surgery ( I had an emergency C section) my now ex called to say that I would be served divorce papers any day now. Thanks, was all I had to say. The divorce took until Feb. 2003 to be completed. I've never looked back.

So here I am. Graduated Graphic artist of signs, working production in a sign shop. A local 'legend' as far as sign makers go, ask about me at a local fast signs... Melody and Phil. It's been a rough life. Losing jobs, relationships, being a single mother and feeling trapped. Being in love and not knowing how to express it. Finding bluer and all of the beautiful people that I love that go there, and that I know from else where that make up me. God is awesome. I've never doubted that He couldn't fix whatever mess I dished out to Him, or got myself into because I thought I was smarter than everyone. I don't think so now, I'm just me, that's all I can ever be. So what is your life story? Thanks for listening to mine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Really. I'm blessed to know you.

Anonymous said...

This is from someone who once knew you well and is happy you are doing so well in life. A little advise I had to learn the hard way. Learn from your past and live your life to the fullest! Memories get more graphic unless you let them go - Make new memories with your son and let the old ones die. They don't make you a better person unless you learn from them and let them go. If you don't, they will make you bitter and that will taint all of your relationships especially the most important one - the one with your Caleb - the best thing to come out of your relationship with your ex.