Saturday, December 10, 2005

Through the eyes of a kitchen window


If kitchen windows could read minds and talk he would've known my thoughts immediately.

The summer get together was nothing out of the ordinary in this neighborhood. This small community of people brought together by some chance of fate in such a short period of time has seemed to have solidified into yet another faction of life that amazes me.

The night was another one of our get togethers hosted here at my place. Early Septembers comfortable evening was the prefect setting for next door friends and acquaintances to sit around and indulge in grilled foods in many forms. Along with the numerous salads, chips, homemade salsas, and of course desserts.

Flying through my routine to finish getting ready before every one arrived I glanced out the window to survey the early comers. And I saw him. My thoughts immediately were mixed emotions of attraction and then the danger of falling and the likes of burnt past relationships slightly touched my thoughts. My heart shuddered. I dismissed the thoughts with one simple phrase; "He's probably married."

But Oh! For it was not true.
My heart jumped but was quickly dismissed as I regained my thinking of 'I'm not dateable.'

I don't remember much of the evening, save the fact that once the kids went to bed and left the adults to their wine and conversation I somehow ended up sitting next to him. Some fate of the chairs being set up as they were and no one taking that seat... Funny.

He was interested in my paintings, or so he said as maybe some ploy to see me again... hmmm... I really didn't know what to think about that, hundreds of senarios ran through my brain about him coming over and walking amidst my house gazing upon my painted poetry of broken dreams, hopes, love and life.

As much as I wanted to know him, I knew that it was quite possible that I would play out the part of my situation in life. I would play hard to get. He did have a bit of the air of 'trouble' around him... But that in the most goofy way of joking would come to mean that he had somehow broken through my defenses without much effort.

Infact it could almost be written from the beginning that I was smitten... But we won't go quite that far.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Hmmm... well you should have some pretty good seats for it. :)